Makes 6 servings
- 6 poblano peppers, washed, sliced in half (lengthwise), de-seeded
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium sized tomato, washed cut and chopped
- 1 (15oz) can of corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp black ground pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Place vegetable broth in a medium sized sauce pan and bring to boil. Add rice, reduce to simmer for about 30 minutes (don’t cook all of the way because the moisture will get absorbed when baked in the oven.)
- Place 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat, saute garlic until fragrant, add chopped tomatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes then add corn and kidney beans. Cook for another 3 more minutes then turn off heat.
- When rice is done being cooked, add vegetable mix and remaining olive oil.
- Place pepper halves in a non-stick baking pan. Divide rice and vegetable mixture into each pepper, sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.