Makes 4 (1 Cup) servings
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups water (divided) *can be replaced with low sodium vegetable broth*
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 -8 oz. package of baby bella mushrooms, rinsed
- 1 -15 oz. can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- In medium sized sauce pan place 3 cups of water and 1 cup of lentils, place on stove top and bring to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to simmer, cook for about 15-20 minutes then remove from heat when lentils appear tender.
- In a large pot on medium heat add olive oil, 1 cup of water, kale, onion, mushrooms, and seasonings. Cover and allow vegetables to cook down until a soft texture (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add seasonings, remaining water, and tomatoes; cook another 10 minutes.
- Once soup starts bubble, reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes. (This allows the flavors to blend together).
- Turn off heat and serve!
One of the easiest ways to ensure you are consuming a variety of nutrients is by making a soup/stew. This recipe has kale, mushrooms, tomatoes, & lentils which means it also contains vitamins- A, K, C, D, minerals- potassium, iron, folate & of course.. fiber!
Get access to my newsletter!
Subscribe to my e-mail list to get weekly updates, videos, healthy recipes, nutrition tips, and more!